The Windjammers of the Chesapeake, Inc.
History | Join | 2006 - 2007 Winter Program
Revised: 12 January 2007
You are visitor number [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- About the Windjammers of the Chesapeake, Inc.
- 2006 - 2007 Winter Lecture Series . Please note that there has been a change in venue. We are pleased to announce that the lectures will be held in the Price Auditorium-Theatre on the campus of the Severn School in Severna Park. Severn School is centrally located between Annapolis and Baltimore, with ample parking and over a dozen restaurants within a stone's through of the campus. Directions and map.
- 2006 - 2007 Executive Officers
- How to Join. If you are interested in receiving more information, please contact the membership chairman - Tony Mordente at mailto: email@example.com
- For changes in schedule. If there need to be last minute changes in the schedule, an alert notice will be posted on the Web Site.
About the Windjammers of the Chesapeake, Inc.
The Windjammers of the Chesapeake Inc. was formed in 1962 by a local group of dedicated sailors with a purpose " To maintain and operate a sailing yacht association for recreational, educational and social purposes. Many organizations of lasting value to the Chesapeake Bay and the continued enjoyment of that unique resource by the citizens of Maryland had their genesis in the Windjammers of the Chesapeake. Among those organizations and institutions are The Chesapeake Bay Foundation, The Chesapeake Appreciation Days, The Oyster Recovery Partnership and the Constillation Foundation, all of which have evolved into entities in themselves.
The Windjammers of the Chesapeake survives today primarily in the form of a winter lecture series providing lectures of interest to sailors during the winter months as well as a fall cruise weekend each year. The goals are:To maintain and operate a sailing yacht association for recreational, educational, and social purposes.
To create an atmosphere especially desirable for sailors and those who love the sea.
To encourage by knowledge and example a sensitive appreciation of sailing, both for its enjoyment and stimulating competition.
To cooperate with other groups, whether amateur, civic, or professional, to the extent that their activities are deemed to be complementary to those of the Windjammers, and likely to advance the long range interests of yachting in the Bay.
Commodore - Drew Fleming
Vice Commodore - Pat Branch
Rear Commodore - Rich Hughes
Treasurer - Norm Pentz
Secretary - Beth Vanfossen
Membership chairman - Tony Mordente mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to join.
The Commodore and Board of Directors welcome new and renewing members to The Windjammers of the Chesapeake. We look forward to your participation in our activities and hope you will enjoy your association with the Windjammers. Your series subscription will include two guest tickets which you may use for any of the lectures.
New Memberships - For more information, Tony Mordente, our membership chairmain would be happy to send or email a new member application at your request. He may be contacted via email mailto: email@example.com or by telephone at 410-515-1441.
Membership renewals - Please complete the 2006-2007 membership renewal form and send it with your check as directed on the form.
Non-members may purchase tickets at the door for $22 each.
2006 - 2007 Winter Program
Four exciting speakers are planned for the 2006/2007 winter series. Check out this year's details of the 2006 - 2007 Featured Speakers.
- Saturday, December 2, 2006. Bruce Schwab, racer and 2-time circumnavigator. First and only American to officially finish the Vendee Globe Race.
- Saturday, January 13, 2007. - Bernadette and Douglas Bernon, s/v Ithaka "The Radical Sabbatical".
- Saturday, February 10, 2007 - The Challenges of two Prides: I and II Tom Waldron, author, Pride of the Sea (2004).
- Saturday, March 17, 2007 - Gary Jobson returns, just in time for the 2007 Americas Cup!
All lectures are held in the Price Auditorium-Theatre of the Severn School, Severna Park, MD, directions and map, and will start promptly at 8 PM.
Annual Windjammers Rendezvous
An annual Windjammers Rendezvous is held on the weekend following Labor Day. The rendezvous consists of a cruise, along with an informal sailboat race and several social events.
These pages created and maintained by Michelle d'Aoust, Webmaster.